Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dog Days

Rainy and chilly day around here. I guess I asked for it. It started raining Sunday afternoon and hasn't stopped since. But before the rain on Sunday, my family and I woke up early to go to Dog Days Flea Market in Ardmore, TN. Unknown to me, Ardmore is the Crape Myrtle Capital of the South. Dog Days is about a 15 minute drive from where we live. It's in a big open field just east of I-65. Driving up the interstate, you never would think a 100-acre Flea Market is just on the other side of the grove of trees separating it from the major throughway.  There are two big four-day weekends each year, Memorial Day and Labor Day. We went a handful of times when I was growing up, but I was too young to remember. I went with my mom and sister on Memorial Day and found some interesting glassware, insulators, and a huge frame and bathroom vanity made from old barn wood.

The market originally began as a place for hunters to trade dogs, and over many decades it has expanded to sell other animals, antiques, collectibles, and junk. I took my camera hoping for some good photo opportunities. My mom had a few good finds. I saw some potential treasures, but there really was just a lot of junk. Here are pictures of the various collections for sale there.








No comments: