Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blueberry Cornbread

When I told my dad I wanted to make blueberry cornbread, he gave me a funny look and said cornbread is for sopping up turnip green juice. Well, I don't like turnip greens, and I have quite the sweet tooth. So blueberry cornbread it is. I came across the recipe on a food blog, The Year in Food, that I've recently started following.

To me, cornbread is a Southern food. When I lived in New York, Southern-themed restaurants would often serve cornbread as their table bread. It was always sweet, as were the corn muffins for sale in bodegas or from street vendors. I had never eaten sweet cornbread- except the time my mother accidentally used powdered sugar instead of flour in her recipe. That batch was pretty sweet.

It wasn't what I was used to, and it definitely wasn't what I would eat with my Thanksgiving dinner. I did like it as a sweet snack however. So when I came across this recipe, I was all about making a traditional dish with an unexpected twist, especially if I can pass it off as a dessert.






I came across a really cool recipe infographic on Tumblr, and decided to make one for my cornbread. I think it's an interesting graphic representation for the ingredients. Each time I cook something new, I use a Mokeskine template to add the new recipes to my collection. Maybe I'll try this for each of my recipes instead. Imagine opening up a recipe box full of visually interesting and colorful cards. I think that would be awesome. 

1 comment:

Brad and Cindy said...

I think I saw Mary in the blueberry cornbread. Alabama auction value just skyrocketed.