Sunday, August 28, 2011

Renaissance Woman?

*Written earlier this evening 
I'm rocking out to Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's Raising Sand in the car right now with my Mom. We are heading back home to Alabama after spending the weekend with my Grandma in Tennessee. Good time to write a blog entry, because I know I'll probably have a million things I want to do when i get home tonight and won't write it then. I have been MIA lately, due to the fact that I'm trying to do too many things. What on earth am I going to do when I get a job? I spent last weekend and some days before sprucing up the landing to our basement- painting the stairs and walls, staining and finishing a shelf and some picture frames. doing some decorating and overall making it look a lot nicer. I also helped my dad do a ton of home improvement projects.

In 2000, my dad began a huge project- as a previous contractor, builder, craftsman, and pretty much jack of all trades- he decided to build our Timberframe house.  He and my Grandfather built my Grandfather's last two houses so I guess it was his turn. When you have a regular job and a life, and decide to build your own house and literally do EVERYTHING yourself, it takes awhile. So there are still a few non-crucial things that need to be done here and there. But my dad still does a lot- he does it all- and lately I've been helping. Working in our shop brought back memories of being in school. Being dirty and tired. The smell of cut wood. Taking measurements and such. It was fun, and good quality time with my dad. I don't need a building techniques or shop class, I've got my house. Here are a few pictures of our house. 




I just put this together for my site. I made it in July for my niece, and I think it's the cutest thing. I even want one. I think I'm too old to have stuffed animals, even though everyone I've been meeting lately thinks I'm 16. Ugh. I don't like that. Anywho, about the bunny, the pattern and directions are in the Alabama Stitch Book. It is made out of my old t-shirts. Without work, I've become pretty thrifty. Anyone want me to hand craft one for you? I could arrange that. I am doing freelance design anything right now. My new business card even says so. 


I've always wanted my own website not some .whatever. So with my brother's help I have decided to officially buy a domain name. I do like my blog, but I'm being very ambitious and hope to combine my own work, findings, and thoughts all in one site. I've been working the website, learning the basics of CSS and HTML enough to edit my page templates and make them exactly how I want. I haven't constantly been on my computer this much since I was working last year. Computer eye strain has come back. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so picky. 


Is being a Renaissance Man always looked at as a good attribute? Could I be a Renaissance Woman?

To end, as I was watering our shrubs the other morning, I found this guy lounging on our abelias. It looks like he is posing for the camera. 





1 comment:

My Good Life Blog said...

Good read again!!! I'm so proud of you!