Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why blog?

I have been back home in Alabama (without a job, mind you) for 10 months now. So what exactly have I done in the last 10 months? Good question. Hmm. Before Christmas I spent most of my days with my sister-in-law at her house. I was in too deep a state of shock and grief to really do much. I did teach myself to knit and did some baking around the holidays.

I don't really remember January. Wait, I think I did a freelance project for my dad's work and helped him make kitchen cabinets. In February, I signed up for AFSP's Overnight Walk. Much of my time was spent fund raising, sending thank you emails, designing a t-shirt. In March, I discovered Alabama Chanin (love love love). I spent at least a week hand sewing a tank top. Around this time, I also started painting and doing more cooking at home. As time has progressed, I've moved more and more out of the distressed state I was in, and I have been able to focus on other things. For about 4 months, I didn't want to and didn't know how to expend my creative energy. Many things are missing from the life I once had, but I have been able to rediscover my creative self and improve it and find new interests. With the arrival of Spring, I began gardening, and I think new growth came from not only my plants but also myself. Whether it be drawing, cooking, going on my daily walks, or just sitting.

While I can summarize the last 10 months of my life in a few paragraphs, much more has happened. I have some of those memories in my mind, others as concrete evidence. Because so many of my days are spent at home, half the time I don't remember yesterday from the day before yesterday. Never mind what the specific events are. This blog is a way for me to document the things I do with my days, the things I learn, the things I learn about myself. I kept a blog as I trained for the Overnight Walk. After the walk, I felt a great sense of accomplishment as I looked back over the months and saw the progress I made. I hope to take this as a rediscovery of not only myself, but also as a way to rediscover Alabama- the place I grew up. I am seeing it with older, different eyes now. I see beauty in the landscape, the people, and the culture. This has enriched my stay here. So perhaps another underlying theme shall be the discoveries I make about Alabama-life and the South, with emphasis on the arts- visual, culinary, landscape, and anything else that I find interesting. My blog is open to evolution.

I also need some socialization in my life! I've never been one to update my Facebook newsfeed every day, and I'm not the best at keeping in touch- but I'm trying. I hope to share this with people that were in my life before I came back to Alabama, as well as new people out there with similar interests and ideas!

No comments: