Friday, July 29, 2011

Crepes with Roasted Peaches and Honey

Every week or two in the summer and fall, my parents buy produce from Isom's Orchard, a 300-acre orchard in Athens. The produce stand, set up off Hwy 72, has a bounty of fruits and vegetables. My mom and I have visited frequently this summer to purchase tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, peaches, honey, and corn. Unfortunately the peaches took a beating from the hail that we had with the April 27th tornadoes, but that didn't make them taste any less than delicious. I found a great recipe online for 'healthy' crepes with roasted peaches, a good weekend breakfast alternative to plain ole' pancakes.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Egg White Crepes with Roasted Peaches and Honey


1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 peaches

Whisk together the wheat flour, egg whites, milk, salt, and oil in a large bowl until smooth. Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet. Tilt the pan in a circular motion to allow the batter to spread to the edges. Cook until the bottom is light brown, about 2 minutes.

For the roasted fruit-
4 peaches, cut into 1/2” slices
sugar and honey to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a oven proof baking dish, arrange the peaches peel side down, and sprinkle with the sugar or honey. Roast the fruit for 20 minutes. Preheat your broiler. When fruit is tender and the juices are bubbling, remove from oven and place under broiler for 3 – 5 minutes, until the edges have darkened a bit. Assemble crepes and enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely love honey. I eat it with my cereal and yogurt most mornings for a slight hint of sweet. It's delicious on fruit and biscuits, mixed with peanut butter, or in hot tea. For this recipe, I drizzle it on the peaches when they are roasting and add more on top of the crepes.

Back in the early 80's, my dad purchased beehives to collect his own honey. He set up bee boxes in our back yard. I found out this past week that in 1986, when we moved from Tennessee, my dad drove the hives (1000s of bees) down to Alabama in the back of our car and gave them to Isom's! (We moved into a subdivision, and I don't think beehives fit in with neighborhood life.) Perhaps this honey comes from the "Grandbees" of the ones my dad had, though I'm not quite sure of a honeybee's lifespan.

No comments: