Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Last evening, I was sitting outside on our patio, and spotted an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail flying around our yard. I see these butterflies fluttering about from time to time. They are common in the Eastern United States, and actually the state butterfly of Alabama. I watched it flap its wings and coast in the air for awhile before it found our its place on our Butterfly bushes. I got some good shots of it with my camera. When I looked at it closer, I could see that its wing was torn. Poor guy. 





The first known drawing of a North America butterfly was an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail in 1587. The drawing was labeled "Mamankanois" which is the Native American word for "butterfly".

1 comment:

Mommy Liz said...

My daughter loves butterfly. I love outdoor, but outdoor doesn't love me (I am allergic to grass and weeds..)

Liz http://anliz.info